Do you know anything quite as renewing or refreshing as the start of a new year? We feel that it’s the perfect time to step back, organize ourselves, and start fresh. In short, new year, new you! It’s time to buckle down and get started. Luckily, with a little bit of washi tape, it’s easy. Let us show you how we organize for the new year.
Organizing Super Tool: Washi Tape
We love washi tape. It’s great! We love how this decorative adhesive can stick to any dry (and clean!) surface and how it’s easily removable. It also comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns, making it perfect for all of our crafting and labeling needs. It’s a total must-have.
When it comes to organizing, we like to use washi tape to organize and label any loose items and our planners.
Color Code Loose Items With Washi Tape In 3 Easy Steps
Loose or miscellaneous items are usually items that either don’t have a place already, or they’re hard to categorize. Tackle that easily by giving these items a place to go to. Using empty containers, we like to sort through loose items and organize by use or importance.
In a perfect world, our containers would be a uniform size, shape, and we would have enough of them to go around for any more loose items. However, this doesn’t always happen. The world isn’t perfect and sometimes our containers mismatch. It’s okay. A great way to bring a little consistency and organization into this mix is by implementing a small, yet impactful color coding system.
This Is How We Do It:
- Take the items that you want to be stored together and assign them a washi tape color, like red, blue, or yellow.
- Wrap 3 strips of tape around your container.
- To make sure we don’t forget what this color stands for, we take a small strip of tape and label it. Washi tape has a paper-like surface that allows us to write directly onto it without the message rubbing off.
If your goal is bright and you want to cover a lot of surface area, look for thicker, wider washi tape. Solid colors work best.
A Few Of Our Favorite Rolls:
Easy Planner Organizing Using Washi Tape
An easy way to be extra mindful of time and help keep our appointments on track is to to use color to block off the time.
Here’s How We Organize Our Planner:
- List out any regular activities and assign them a washi tape color. This includes weekly or monthly events.
- On our calendar for the month (or upcoming months), using the tape, fill in that time.
- Repeat with a different color for special occasions or one time events.
The idea is similar to that of a pen or marker highlighter, except better, because washi tape is non-permanent and can be easily moved around.
For any last minute schedule changes, this is perfect. This allows us to easily adjust without making a mess of our planner with unsightly crossed out appointments.
Planners are usually smaller, so they benefit from thin tape.
Thin Washi Tape Sets That We Love:
- Sandy Washi Tape Sets (Dark Color & Bright Color Set)
- Patterned Sets (Calendar & Sleek Metallic Print)
Do you have any organizing tips for the new year? We’d love to hear them! Share your organized home or planner with us on FB or Instagram and stay tuned for more easy DIYs and ribbon features!