How to Make a Simple Hair Clip
Making a simple hair clip takes only a few minutes. You can use any type of ribbon, but grosgrain ribbon tends to work the best. Create a bunch of hair clips in different colors and patterns with this quick and easy tutorial.
Materials for Making a Simple Hair Clip
- 3/8” grosgrain ribbon
- Measuring tape
- Glue gun
- Alligator clip
- Cut three strips of ribbon in lengths 4.5”, 3.5” and 1.5”.
- Use the lighter to heat seal all ends of the ribbon pieces.
- Take the 4.5” strip of ribbon and starting with an end, cover one inch of it with hot glue.
- Open the alligator clip and slide the ribbon inside of it. The hot glue should be sticking to the top prong of the clip.
- Place some glue on the top of the clip and wrap the ribbon over the hot glue.
- Put a dab of glue on the inside of the pinch part of the clip and run the ribbon over that part as well.
- Place some hot glue on the remaining part of the ribbon and glue it to the bottom of the clip. You should now have a lined alligator clipped.
- Take the 3.5” piece of ribbon and place a dab of glue on one end of the ribbon.
- Bring the other end of the ribbon around to make a loop and glue it together.
- Hold the ribbon loop so that the glued piece is at the bottom.
- Place a dab of glue on the inside of the loop, where the two ends of the ribbon are glued together.
- Take the top part of the loop and press it down to the dab of glue in the center.
- Turn the bow over so that the seam is facing up.
- Place a dab of glue in the middle, turn the bow back over and press it onto the center of the lined alligator clip.
- Open the alligator clip and place a dab of glue in the center (on the inside of the top prong).
- Take the 1.5” strip of ribbon and place one end on the dab of glue.
- Place another dab of glue on top of the ribbon end that you just glued on.
- Wrap the 1.5” strip of ribbon around the center of the alligator clip.
- Bring it back to the dab of glue and press firmly to adhere. Cut off any excess ribbon.