How to Make a Korker Ribbon Hair Bow
Materials for Making a Korker Ribbon Hair Bow:
- Assortment of 3/8” grosgrain ribbons
- Wooden dowels (3/16”)
- Clothes pins
- Hot glue gun
- Small empty box (size of a Pop-Tarts box)
- Tape measurer
Instructions for Making a Korker Ribbon:
- Take a grosgrain ribbon and wrap it a couple of times around the top of a dowel
- Take a clothes pin and clamp it down to hold the grosgrain ribbon in place
- Wrap the grosgrain ribbon down the length of the dowel by twisting the dowel. Wrap grosgrain ribbon close together for tighter curls. For loser curls, wrap the grosgrain ribbon further apart
- Once you get to the end, wrap it around end a couple of times and secure with clothes pin
- Repeat the entire process with the remaining colored grosgrain ribbons
- Once you have all your grosgrain ribbons wrapped around the dowels, wet each dowel by running them under water for a few seconds
- Place dowels on a baking sheet that is covered by a layer of foil and place the dowels in the oven for 20 minutes at 225 degrees
- Take the grosgrain ribbons out of oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes
- Take the cloth pins off of dowels and unravel the grosgrain ribbons from the dowel
- Trim the ends of the grosgrain ribbon
Instructions for Making a Korker Box:
- Cut Pop-Tart box so that you have an open box that is 3 ½” by 3 ½”
- Cut a slit in the middle of one of the box wall.
- Cut the same size slit on the opposite side wall.
Instructions for a Korker Ribbon Hair Bow:
- Cut ribbons into pieces that are 3 to 3 ½ inches in length. These are your korkers.
- Heat seal the ends of all the korkers
- Take the elastic and insert it between the slits of the korker box you created
- Lay each of the korkers inside the box across the elastic in the pattern you want. Once you have the first layer, do a second layer on top until you have all the grosgrain ribbons in place
- Grab the ends of the elastic and pull up through the slits to gather all of the corks together in the middle.
- Tighten and tie a secure knot on the top
- Fluff the korkers by tugging on them and moving them into the right place
- Once you are satisfied with the size and shape of the korker, clip off the excess elastic
- Take your full korker and find the center. Add a dab of hot glue on the middle of the barrette.
- Place korker on the glue and press down for a few seconds.
- Take some elastic and wrap it around the korker and the barrette to secure in place.
And there you go! You have a Korker Ribbon Hair Bow to enjoy.