How to Make a Car Bow
Whether you’re gifting your daughter or son a brand new car or you’re celebrating the bride and groom’s big day, a car bow makes a statement. Those large red car bows you see in commercials are actually pretty expensive to buy or make, so we came up with an alternative to make a huge bow for a car.
It’s very simple and creates a “pow” effect to anybody who sees it. I made this design for a friend’s wedding. Her colors were pink and white, so I would recommend matching the colors to the occasion instead. Poster boards come in a variety of colors and glitter ribbon as well. I would recommend checking out Paper Mart’s collection of glitter ribbon for the most choices.
Materials for Making a Car Bow
- 2 White Poster Boards – 22” x 28” is recommended
- Glitter Ribbon – ½” width or less (you’ll need about 108 inches or 3 yards of ribbon)
- White Elmer’s Glue
- Small paint brush
- One 3 x 10 Magnetic Sheet
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Instructions for Making a Car Bow
- Cut the first poster board in half with scissors, so you have two pieces of 11” x 28” strips.
- Cut the second poster board with scissors into two 8” x 26” strips.
- With the remaining piece of the second cardboard, cutout a 3” x 10” strip.
- Using the small paint brush, put Elmer’s glue on the glitter ribbon and glue the glitter ribbon along the edge and length of the 4 larger cardboard strips (the two 11″ x 28″ and the two 8″ x 26″ strips).
- Place the 3″ x 10″ strip in front of you. This strip will be used as the foundation for the car bow and as the bottom piece.
- Take one of the 11” x 28” strips and fold the cardboard to create a loop (DO NOT CREASE) and glue the ends to the center of 3” x 10” cardboard strip length wise. You will be creating one side of the car bow.
- Take the other 11” x 28” strip and fold the same way as the other 11″ x 28″ strip. You’ll want to glue this strip on the OPPOSITE side of the other 11″ x 28″ strip and on the 3” x 10” cardboard strip. It should look like a car bow.
- Fold one of the 8” x 26” strips forming another loop and glue it on top of one of the 11” x 28” loops you’ve already glued.
- Repeat step 8 for the other side and with the other 8″ x 26″ strip.
- Place a heavy object in the middle of the car bow, like a bouquet of flowers, to let the glue dry.
- After 24 hours, flip car bow over and attach magnetic sheet with a hot glue gun.
- Wrap tulle in the middle of the car bow and place any silk flowers you may have in the middle. Glue the silk flowers to the car bow with a hot glue gun.
You can also add Tulle to the front of the car for an adorable car bow in the front. Also, we don’t recommend driving with the bow on top of the car. Once the recipient or bride and groom see the adorable car bow and after the photos have been taken, we recommend the car bow be removed for safe travels.