DIY “You Rock” Valentine’s Day Gift for Girlfriends
Valentine’s Day isn’t all about couples; it’s about celebrating the people in your life that you love the most. Send some love to your favorite girlfriends, friends, mothers, daughters, or coworkers when you do-it-yourself and make this wonderful “You Rock” Valentine’s Day gift. Now, you may have seen the popular “You Rock” card with pop rocks for kids (see it on our blog post: Ten Homemade Valentine’s Day Cards), but this one is for the grown-ups! Instead of pop rocks, use bath rocks instead.
Head to your general store and pick up a tub of pink or red bath rocks, and then start re-packaging them by following today’s tutorial. Everyone could use more time to relax, plus, you can add a bottle of champagne for an evening of soaking and drinking. What girl doesn’t love that?!
- Hinged Square Tin Cans (I used the 4 3/4″ X 4 3/4″ size)
- Pink Bath Rocks
- Valentine’s themed cardstock
- 2-1/4″ Hot Pink Grosgrain Ribbon
- Needle and thread
- 3/8″ Pink Satin Cord
- Hot Glue Gun
- Glue Dots or glue
- Cut a 12″ strip of your hot pink grosgrain ribbon using your scissors.
- With your 12″ ribbon strip, attach both sides of the ribbon together to make a loop with your ribbon. Use your hot glue gun to keep the shape. Having a 1/2″ to 1″ overlay is okay.
- Turn the ribbon over. You’ll want the glued part of the ribbon to be on the back of your bow.
- Leave the ribbon strip alone for now, and pick up your needle and thread. Cut off 5″ of thread with your scissors. Insert the thread through the top of the needle. Pull through until about half way. At the end of the thread, tie a knot (see photo below).
- Using your fingers, pinch the ribbon in the middle to create 3 creases. It’s the same technique that was in our How to Make a Ribbon Backdrop for Weddings and Parties video. Once you make the creases, grab your needle and thread and push the needle through the top of the bow.
- Once you get it through to the other side, wrap the thread around and around the bow in the middle. Once you go around about 3 times, tie the end of the thread and cut off the needle from the thread.
- To hide the thread, use your pink satin cord. Tie the cord around the middle of the bow. Knot the cord in the back of your bow, so it stays hidden. Cut off the remaining sides of the ribbon that are sticking out.
- Once the bow is complete, hot glue gun it onto your tin. I placed mine at an angle on the top right-side of the tin.
- To wrap the ribbon around the left-corner of the tin, cut off about 7″ of your hot pink grosgrain ribbon with scissors. Open your tin can and glue the hot pink ribbon at an angle on the inside of the tin’s lid. Then wrap the ribbon to the other corner. Be sure and keep the ribbon tight as you glue and stream the ribbon across your tin.
- Use a die-cut stamp or trace a 2″ circle out of your Valentine’s Day cardstock. This will be used to attach to the front of your tin as a tag. Also, make a heart with lighter Valentine’s Day cardstock. Write the words, “You Rock” on the heart. Glue the heart on top of the circle tag with glue dots. Then use a glue dot to attach the tag to the tin.
- Now, you’ve completed the front! Congrats.
- Time to finish the inside. Add your bath salt rocks into the tin.
- Cut out a 4-3/4″ x 4-3/4″ square out of your cardstock and then cut out a 3″ heart out of your lighter cardstock. Write on your heart, “Now Relax.” Adhere the paper heart to the square, then use your glue dots to attach the piece of paper on the inside of your tin where your ribbon is. You’ll hide the ribbon and make it a wonderful experience for the person who opens your gift.
Now you’re finished!
Here’s another wonderful gift packaging idea you can make using the same tutorial from above; just use black grosgrain ribbon instead and wrap it around the whole package.