How to Make a Butterfly Loop Hair Bow
Video tutorial on how to make a beautiful butterfly loop hair bow with grosgrain ribbon.
Materials for Making a Butterfly Loop Hair Bow
- 2 ft 1.5 inch grosgrain ribbon
- 4 inches 3/8 grosgrain ribbon
- 6 inches of 7/8 grosgrain ribbon
- Alligator clip
- Embroidery floss with needle
- Glue gun
Optional: Gripper strips. You can purchase the gripping material that is used to line the inside of drawers and cut strips from that.
Instructions on Making a Butterfly Loop Hair Bow
- Heat seal the ends of the grosgrain ribbon so that the ribbon doesn’t unravel
- Fold the grosgrain ribbon in half and press down firmly to make a crease in the middle of the grosgrain ribbon
- Open the grosgrain ribbon up.
- Take one end and bring to the center and flip it over to make a loop
- Take the other end, bring to the center and flip it to the opposite direction so that the grosgrain ribbon now makes a figure 8
- Grasp the center of one of the loops and bring it into the middle, so it makes two loops. Do the same with the other.
- You should now have 4 loops that look like a butterfly loop hair bow
- Fold it in the middle and use the embroidery floss and needle to sew the grosgrain ribbon
- Push the needle through the center of the butterfly loop hair bow and pull through. Your floss should be knotted at the end so that it stops when the needle pulls all the way through.
- Wrap the embroidery floss around the middle of the butterfly loop hair bow twice and tie it off. Trim off any excess string.
- Take the 6 inches of 7/8” grosgrain ribbon and tie a knot
- Put a little bit of hot glue on the middle of your butterfly loop hair bow and glue your knotted grosgrain ribbon onto the bow
- Trim the ends of the grosgrain ribbon but leave enough so that you can glue it on the back
- Heat seal the edges of the grosgrain ribbon
- Glue the ends of the grosgrain ribbon onto the back of the butterfly loop hair bow
- Take the 4 inches of the 3/8” grosgrain ribbon and cover about an inch of the ribbon with hot glue
- Clamp down the alligator clip onto the center of the grosgrain ribbon where the glue is
- Place some hot glue on the top of the clip and run the grosgrain ribbon along the top
- Turn the clip over, put a dab of glue on the end of the clip and press the grosgrain ribbon down
- Optional step: Open the clip up, add some glue to the inside, and place a small strip of gripper on to it. This will help grip the hair so that the bow won’t slide out easily.
- Place some glue on top of the hair clip and glue the clip onto the butterfly loop hair bow.